favorite posts

DESIGN
LE LABO IN NOLITA
TRAVEL AND PLACES
SPICE MARKET AT UNION SQUARE
TRAVEL AND PLACES
A DAY IN AMSTERDAM
ARCHITECTURE
EYE FILM MUSEUM

10/23/13

RANDOM THOUGHTS | impacts and third culture kids



I M P A C T S  |  there are so many things that impact my life in all ways possible. Some are short-term, some influence me over a longer period of time, some will have an impact on my entire life. There are a million little things that have an effect on my daily, hourly, minutely (now that sounds weird - is there a word such as 'minutely'?) decisions and thoughts. 
One thing that had a tremendous impact, however, one that I think in fact has the most influence on my entire person and character, was growing up in and with different cultures. When I was eight years old, me and my family moved to New York and then a few years later to St. Louis, Missouri, and then again a few years later back to Europe (with possible moves inbetween to the Netherlands and Korea, but those never happened). The more years go by, the more I realize just how much this effected me, both in good and in bad ways (although I do believe that the good most definitely outweigh the bad)
Especially in the past few months I have struggled with feeling lost and not entirely content with my surroundings. Ever since we moved back to Germany I have not really known where I really belong. I almost felt more American than German, and maybe I still do, but either way does not begin to describe who I am. I am neither entirely American nor German, or European. 
I recently came across articles describing this as 'Third Culture Kids' (TCK) which sounds completely strange and even somewhat pretentious, but it was actually a huge relief to read about it and see that I am not the only one feeling insecure and confused about my own identity and sense of belonging. It is actually a contemporary phenomenon, with kids all over the world growing up in different cultures, moving frequently and having to adapt to entirely new situations and surroundings. The subject is so broad and complex, that I do not even know where to begin and how to describe what I feel. All I know is that I somehow do feel the urge to talk about it and see if there are people who feel the same or similar. 
I will leave it at that for now, but I am quite sure that there will be more ramblings and thoughts on the matter in the future. 

Since New York is still the city I feel most drawn to, here are some photos I took almost exactly a year ago. 






No comments:

Post a Comment