favorite posts

DESIGN
LE LABO IN NOLITA
TRAVEL AND PLACES
SPICE MARKET AT UNION SQUARE
TRAVEL AND PLACES
A DAY IN AMSTERDAM
ARCHITECTURE
EYE FILM MUSEUM

10/22/13

ARCHITECTURE . eye film institute by delugan meissl
















F O R M S   A N D   S P A C E  |  I am usually not a big fan of very complex, dynamic, and organic structures in architecture. Although I admire what Hadid and the likes have accomplished and achieved, I am not always convinced by their designs. Although they do look spectacular and provide a stunning and dramatic aspect to architecture, I often think that they can not do much more than precisely that. (please don´t get me wrong, I in no way want to talk bad of these conceptual and sculptural designs, it is just not always my cup of tea) 
Delugan Meissl, however, always surprise me and make me adjust my mind a little in that regard. Their buildings manage to create three-dimensional spaces that go beyond merely providing rooms with slanted/curved/tilted/rugged lines and edges. I don´t know exactly why their architectural language speaks to me a lot more than most others that go in a similar direction. I have visited the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Germany, as well and was quite fascinated with the structure (although the amount of steel they incorporated to achieve the form and aesthetic almost ruins it for me) and the spaces that were conceived to display and stage the historic and renowned cars. 
I also visited their architecture firm in Vienna, and was lucky enough to participate in a short design seminar over the course of four weeks with Mr. Delugan himself. I was very fascinated and intrigued by him and the firms approach to architecture in general. So I guess I am a bit biased when it comes to their designs, but let me tell you they really are worth a visit or two. 
Their project in Amsterdam, the EYE Film Institute at the harbors edge clearly has their signature perception of design and form, similar but not the same as the Porsche Museum. I really loved the foyer with the wooden steps and the positively eccentric but very fitting lighting dangling in abundance from the ceiling. I was also very pleased to find the space and the entire building even better in real life than in the many photos that have been published in magazines and on various architecture platforms online. This is very often not the case and I find the photography often 'lies' or at least misleads on very many projects and spaces. So I was very happy to find the architecture even better than portrayed in the images I had previously only seen digital or printed. 
The terrace is definitely a place I can recommend for a cup of coffee or tea and some madeleines (they were perfect) while enjoying great views of Amsterdam´s harbor. You can also very clearly see the Barcode building by MVRDV, another iconic structure in Amsterdam. 
There is a ferry which is free and can easily be accessed at the back of the main train station. It will get you quickly to the other side of the harbor. 

Photos by me and Sebastian C.

No comments:

Post a Comment