favorite posts

DESIGN
LE LABO IN NOLITA
TRAVEL AND PLACES
SPICE MARKET AT UNION SQUARE
TRAVEL AND PLACES
A DAY IN AMSTERDAM
ARCHITECTURE
EYE FILM MUSEUM

6/5/13

DRINK . home-made masala chai



 I don´t only drink chai in the winter, colder months. Basically, I love it all year round and nothing is better than a soothing, warm and spicy cup in the evening after a stressful day. I frequently cook up some spices and then just freeze them to use whenever I want. 

Very simple recipe >
/ Take a large pot and add about two liters of water. 
/ Through in any spices that you desire. I usually always do a mix of cardamom pods, cloves, 5-6 cinnamon sticks, some licorice root, fennel seeds, star anise (lots of those cause I love the taste and smell so much, but cut back and only add one or two if you are not so into your anise), whole pepper pods, and quite a lot of finely cut ginger. Try around a bit with it and add whatever you like. Chai is always different wherever you try it, so just have it your way! One thing though: I usually add two or three whole licorice roots, which was always fine and just enough. I recently bought the cut up version and added what I thought would be about the same amount. The taste was extremely strong though afterwards, so make sure that if you are not using the sticks, go easy on the licorice root. Unless of course you like the strong, naturally sweet taste, then please go ahead! I prefer to sweeten with a lot of honey after preparing my cup. 
/ Let everything simmer after you have brought it to a boil. Keep it on low heat for about 2 or maybe even 3 hours, depending on how much you used. I never really set a clock and just let it be finished when the water has reduced by a bit more than half. 
/ Drain everything and then either refrigerate the juice (if you want to consume everything within a week or so) or, as I like to do (the amazing My New Roots gave me this idea) pour it into ice cube forms and freeze them so that you can always have some masala chai whenever you so desire. Great right?




Whenever I want to have some, I make some strong black tea, currently my Harrods Afternoon blends, but again, anything goes! I have tried this with fennel and mint tea which was a very interesting take on a masala chai. I quite liked it at night when I don´t want all of the caffeine from the black tea. All I have to do then is add one or two ice cubes of my chai concentrate and sweeten with honey (lots of honey). I sometimes also add some almond milk if I have any to hand. And there you go, a delicious, home-made masala chai! 

No comments:

Post a Comment