favorite posts

DESIGN
LE LABO IN NOLITA
TRAVEL AND PLACES
SPICE MARKET AT UNION SQUARE
TRAVEL AND PLACES
A DAY IN AMSTERDAM
ARCHITECTURE
EYE FILM MUSEUM

5/23/13

RANDOM THING . growing some mint

The first thing I did when we moved into our small apartment last summer, was to plant some herbs and lots of mint on the rather large (compared to the rest of the apartment) balcony. I harvested thyme, sage, basel, rosemary, lots of chives and parsley, and tons of mint until the winter time. I had all of the herbs in different sections of a large planter that is incorporated into our balustrade. Now, after the freezing days of winter, I was excited to see what had survived. Strangely, everything did so surprisingly well - only the winter hardy basel did not make it. My precious mint had found corners and places to sprout where I would never have imagined. It has wiggled its way through everything and is now happily growing all over the place. Thats ok. I love my mint. I took some from the last corners and planted them in separate pots to grow indoors and have even more mint readily available. 
There are actually thousands of different types of mint. The one seen above and directly below is chocolate mint (sounds great, right?). I really like its taste. It is a lot stronger and more intense than the one I had been buying from the grocery store before. You can recognize it by the dark middle strand. It is supposed to taste like fine mint-chocolate...Anyway, the other mint that I personally grow, after putting it into a large pot this after noon, is swiss mint. I got some from my parents´ house and hope that it will happily grow in my home as well. I use mint frequently, especially in spring and summer. I make tea, mojitos, alcohol-free-cocktails, and put it in salad, some deserts, and anything else that I can think of. 

Here are some useful health benefit facts about mint >
/ it soothes the digestive tract and helps when you are having stomach aches. 
/ it cleanses the stomach and also clears up skin disorders such as acne.
/ drinking herbal mint tea reduces irritated bowel syndromes.
/ fresh mint acts as a cooling sensation on the skin and helps dealing with skin irritations.
/ it helps to eliminate toxins from the body.
/ crushed mint leaves helps with whitening teeth and it combats bad breath.
/ mint is also a very good cleanser for the blood.

Aren´t that enough good reasons to grow and have some mint? Besides it´s great taste of course?



2 comments:

  1. I love your blog, and all the random lifestyle things! Great reading.

    Can't wait for more. Followed!

    Beauty Baroness ☮♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment! I am glad you like my blog! :)
      I will post more soon, the last few days have been very packed and hectic...

      Delete