favorite posts

DESIGN
LE LABO IN NOLITA
TRAVEL AND PLACES
SPICE MARKET AT UNION SQUARE
TRAVEL AND PLACES
A DAY IN AMSTERDAM
ARCHITECTURE
EYE FILM MUSEUM

5/12/13

FOOD . the simple beauty of an artichoke


My boyfriends family used to spend summers in France, where they stayed adjacent to huge artichoke fields. Since I have never been to France (except Paris, but somehow, considering the beautiful country-side of France, in this case Paris does not count) we bring the food to our home in Germany. I happen to adore artichokes and we make them regularly. They are extremely healthy, which is always a welcome bonus, but I actually think that they taste really great and unique. They look quite unique as well. One of my professors always says: "ugly things can be so beautiful" quite true in this case I would say...

Here is the simplest way to enjoy your artichokes:
/ simply cut off the stem, boil the rest in hot water for about 45 minutes depending on size (they are ready if you can easily pull off the leaves, but don´t leave them so long that they fall off on their own...not good)
/ put them on a plate
/ serve with any kind of dipping sauce, we prefer sauce hollandaise, but anything works
/ enjoy, simply dip the end of each leaf in the sauce and pull the good stuff off with your teeth! Depending on the size of the good thing and your choice of sauce, you will feel stuffed after one of these things ;) or simply serve them as an appetizer with many different sauces for everyone to enjoy.


(I originally posted this on my travel blog Flamboyant World, but I wanted to share my love for artichokes here as well)

No comments:

Post a Comment